the point

the point

Monday, October 29, 2018

Why I read the scriptures

My favorite people.


This is a topic that's caused a lot of pondering for me in the most recent 7 years. I don't have to wonder if the scriptures are true--scriptures being the Bible and a series of other books specifically canonized by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as scriptures (i.e Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price). But connecting with them and understanding their value in my day-to-day life has been really a challenge for me. In terms of learning practical application, I sometimes feel like I would be better off reading history books written in plain English that I could more easily learn from other's mistakes and apply them in my own life.

It's hard for me to understand the scriptures. Without deep study and interpretations clearly laid out for me by other scholars, I feel like there is a veil between me reading and my ability to get anything out of it. And the reality is that as a young mom, I might have at the most 30 minutes a day to read. Often it's more like 5 minutes. That amount of time doesn't translate into "deep study". So I get discouraged and this results in doing other things with my time that seem to provide greater benefit. But continue reading--this is not the end of my story.

In reflecting on how to study the scriptures, I have reasonably concluded that there are two main ways to study. One is primarily doctrinal based. The other is historically based. When studying for doctrine, I largely disregard things like timelines, specific characters, rigid order of events, etc. I try to look for doctrinal themes and only focus on principles which seem to stand out in various stories, etc. When studying for historical value, I try to emphasize specific timelines, simultaneous events happening in world history, cultural significance, specific roles different people or groups of people play etc. etc. When viewing scriptures from these two perspectives, I tend to get very different things out of what I'm reading. But sometimes I still feel flat when I'm done. And that's hard. But continue reading.

Enter conversation about a year ago with my brother-in-law. He is someone I love discussing the topic of scripture study with. He's equally as passionate about finding methods that work. I shared with him my frustrations--I'm taught constantly that reading the scriptures is THE KEY to spiritual living. Do it. Breathe it. Live it. Love it...well that's really hard for me because I'm not feeling what I think I should be even though I'm pretty sure I'm sincere about trying. I explain to him my two viewpoints for study. At this point, he introduces a third angle that shifts my perspective yet again.

Enter "relational perspective". It's taken me about the past year to understand more completely what this perspective implies, but I'm getting it. And it's helping. A lot.

Relational perspective is neither based fully on digesting doctrine or understanding historical significance. It's 100% about my relationship with Christ and how I'm feeling--good, bad, happy, sad, excited, grateful, hopeful, depressed, worried, overwhelmed, confused. Rather than reading to immediately learn and digest something that will benefit me in that moment (like scrolling through my social media feed and expecting the instant gratification), I take a long-term perspective. I view my act of reading, quieting my mind, and trying to be open to personal revelation as a token I am offering so that Christ will gently intervene and heal the worries on my mind. Help me find solutions. Introduce me to people in my day-to-day who might be able to help. Introduce new ideas into my mind. Endow me with an added dose of patience with my kids. My personal feelings at the time and whatever I read in the scriptures might seem as unrelated as a fish riding a bicycle. But it doesn't matter. It is the symbolic gesture of my willingness to submit and request the influence of my Maker to help improve my situation. This has proven to be the most successful approach to scripture study I have found.

Christ's intervention often won't happen right as I'm reading the scriptures. It's a much more ongoing process than that. But it comes at the most appropriate times. My scripture study opens my heart to greater faith, hope, patience, and ultimately an intimate exchange between my Savior and myself, recognizing that He understands my heart perfectly and is working to help me find peace. This has helped me a lot.

I do believe in scripture study, even if the words don't make sense at first or even after reading them 20x. I believe with time we can better understand the words contained therein. I believe Christ wants to help us resolve the private worries on our minds and hearts. Asking us to open up to Him is often done by willingly reading scripture. I'm grateful for this ongoing challenge I feel with scripture study because it's helping me personally gain testimony of why I do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's keep it classy...